Public Right of Way

Public Right-of-Way Permit Applications are now online! 

  • Apply Online Now - (If this is your first time applying online, you will need to create an account. If you have completed any of Kalispell’s stormwater permits or building department’s permits online, you can use the same login.)
  • Fee: $10
  • The program works best with the latest version of Chrome or Firefox.

About the Permit

All work performed within the public right of way of the City of Kalispell requires the issuance of a Public Right-of-Way Permit. This permit is issued and administered by the Public Works Department.

Public Right-of-Way Permits include, but are not limited to, utility installation, fill and/or excavation, sewer/water taps, sidewalk, curb, gutter and driveway access construction. Also included are uses of the Public Right-of-Way that may create a hazard such as scaffolding, material or equipment storage, crane operations, sandblasting, painting, etc. All work performed must be in compliance with the City Standards for Design and Construction.

If the work within the Public Right-of-Way involves the city boulevard tree (planting, pruning, removal, chemical treatment and construction), a City Tree Permit must be obtained in addition to the Public Right-of-Way Permit. The City Permit can be obtained here. Any question regarding the city boulevard trees or the Tree Permit can be directed to Parks and Rec at 406-758-7718. 


Prior to issuance of the permit the applicant must provide written proof of insurance and bonding. 

Insurance: Per the City of Kalispell's Standards for Design and Construction, Proof of Liability Insurance must be submitted with the City of Kalispell listed as the Certificate Holder (Additional Insured). Limits are in the amounts of $1,000,000 per occurrence with $3,000,000 Aggregate for excavations to the City’s utility mains. For smaller projects, like driveways or connecting to existing utility service lines, insurance requirements are $1,000,000 per occurrence with $2,000,000 Aggregate.

Bonding: 2 Year Bond - In the amount of $5,000 (Must submit original document to Public Works)

Work conducted in the right of way of state highway or county roads is subject to the approval by the Montana Department of Transportation (406-751-2000) or the Flathead County Road Department (406-758-5790).